The Innovators Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
By: Clayton M. Christensen; Michael Raynor
|Ratings: MUST READ||Right Things: 5.0; Right Way: 4.8; Right Team: 4.8;
|Leadership/Management Maturity:||___ Entry (0–1yrs); ___Early (1–3yrs); ✔ Competent (3-5yrs); ✔ Proficient (5-10yrs); ✔ Expert (10+yrs);|
|Target Audience:||C-Suite, Senior Leadership, Management/Leadership Development|
|Target Business Stage:||Start-up Stage; Growth Stage; Established Stage;|
|Est. Reading Time:||5-6 hours, 304 pages|
The Innovators Solution answers the unavoidable questions opened in the minds of business leaders from The Innovators Dilemma published six years previous. Thank you, Clay and Michael, for coming to everyone’s rescue.
Where The Innovators Dilemma clearly demonstrated the challenges are competing in an economy with continual technological innovation, The Innovators Solution provides strategies that organizations and leaders can employ to best compete in our quickly evolving economy. Three common themes seem to build the foundation for most of the points made in the book:
- Leaders and managers need to look beyond their products and traditional customer segmentation to clearly understand the needs and drivers beneath buying behaviors.
- Leadersn need to understand the difference between sustaining innovation and disruptive innovation and the role they play in the business lifecycle.
- Companies need to match management knowledge and skills to the innovation environment currently faced by a business unit.
Given these fundamental principles, The Innovators Solution builds a variety of scenarios in which innovation impacts companies (Note: start-up entrepreneurs can benefit from this book, but it is better suited to leaders of growth or mature companies). For each of the various scenarios, the authors discuss key considerations needed to establish effective strategic responses. Examples include:
- Understanding and dealing with the Growth Imperative
- New Insights into identifying target customers for given products
- Establishing a realistic “Scope” for your business or business unit
- Avoiding Commoditization
- Differentiating between Good and Bad Money
- And collective approach to Strategy Development
Regardless of whether you have read The Innovators Dilemma, The Innovators Solution provides key insights and a good set of realistic strategic concerns and approaches to stand on its own as a Must Read book for every business professional.
|Author:||Clayton M. Christensen; Michael Raynor;|
|Author Bios||Clayton M. Christensen
|Copyright/Publisher:||Harvard Business Review Press; 1 edition (November 19, 2013)|